Does your newly installed garage door installation make the entire community know that you are home? Although there’s some noise related to opening a garage door, however, it shouldn’t be so loud it alarms your neighbors to wakes up. Furthermore, having toddlers or baby will be detrimental to their sleep or naptime and your poor resting wife.
To start with, you need to know the sound from your garage door opener it’s not only coming from the opener but the entire garage door system. We can give you many excellent ways to quiet down your carport. However, you must know about the simple fact that, even though you can decrease the sound it is not possible to have a total silent door.
So, unless you try to fix the issues quickly, you’ll be going to need a garage door opener repair expert in Clearwater for an overhaul. But before hiring your local specialist try these methods:
Tips to make your garage door quieter
- Lubricate the metal parts- such as the hinges, rollers, tracks, and, springs. However, only use lubricant meant for garage door metal components, for example, lithium based grease. Apply and wash away the excess with a rag. It might be a source of the sounds if the parts of a torsion spring system smashed together so applying a lubricant will stop the noise.
- Tighten all bolts and nuts- make sure there are no screws loose.
- Examine the state of tracks and the rollers- Make sure they’re not worn or damaged? Remember that rollers must roll and not slide inside the track. Furthermore, check if the tracks are correctly aligned?
- Lubricate the garage door opener chain- Add oil to the chain and also the pinions. But then again, if your opener is belt‑driven, don’t use anything on the rubber belt. Also, make sure the belt or chain is tight.
- Add noise insulation- it is possible to install noise insulators to minimize loud sounds. You install it between the engine block and the slotted metal brace utilized to attach the engine to the ceiling. These are cylindrical pieces of rubber fitted with two separate screws, which shield vibration from adjoining components.
Garage door expert services
Not everyone is a handyman so garage door repair and maintenance specialists can help you with the task:
- They will help do the top measures mentioned above.
- Replace your chain‑driven garage door opener using a belt‑driven type.
- Change out your steel rollers with more quiet rubber ones.
- Change out your extension spring system with torsion springs. Torsion springs can be set up over the top of the doorway and make less noise.
- Perform a full inspection to confirm your garage door is operating right.
- Replace your garage door opener.
Chain Drive Openers
Chain drive openers utilize a chain pulley system to pull up the garage door. It is the oldest kind of garage door opener. Nonetheless, there still a favorite for its capacity to lift many types of garage doors such as the heavy ones. However, they create much noise, so they’re not the smartest choice for individuals whose home or bedroom office is either directly above or adjacent to the garage.
Belt Drive Openers
Although they operate off the same concept of the chain drive opener the chain is substituted with rubber reinforced with metal wires such as tires. They are far quieter than chain drive openers and more desirable to some homeowners.
They function far quicker than chain driven openers, but they can’t support the same weight. They work better for lightweight garage doors and for homeowners who don’t like much noise.
Screw Drive Opener
On the ranges of sound and price, screw drive openers fall in between the belt and chain drives. The mechanics work with a metal pole that is threaded like a screw. The rod turns in the mechanism, and that movement shuts and opens the door.
Because screw drive openers have less moving parts, they need less maintenance throughout the year. However, this kind of opener isn’t great for heavy doors, since the burden will cause the thread to wear more than usual.